Wednesday, June 29, 2011

More Ottawa County Places

2011 06 06 Fillmore at the Bend, Grand River Ravines, Grand River Park. 
We started at Fillmore at the Bend.


In the field we saw...
Showy Goat's Beard



                                     Fistulous Goat's Beard

See the difference between the two Goat's Beard?  Showy, the involucral bracts are equal to the petal rays.  Fistulous Goat's Beard, the involucral bracts are longer than the petal rays.  I never paid much attention to this and just call them
Yellow Goat's Beard.                          
                                     Orange Hawkweed


                   Ox-eye Daisy
     
Black Swallowtail Butterfly
Maybe a Northern Crescent?  I'm not sure although I did just get a new field guide, Butterflies of Michigan.
We wanted to check out the new Ottawa County property, Grand River Ravines.  There is no parking available for this place yet but it is just north of Fillmore at the Bend so we walked north. 

              We came to a farmed field, we headed a bit east to make sure we weren't trespassing.  As we walked along we came to many intersecting trails or small two-tracks, and several small bridges,  Hm, are we still on the Grand River Ravines property?  I hope so.






  We spotted this American Bald Eagle fishing the Grand River.  Now we are close to the river and there I spy beautiful For-Get-Me-Nots.



When I look at them again I found this insect on one of the plants!  I learned he is a Weevil!  Isn't he interesting?  I wonder if he is a "bad"  bug?


 
We started off south for Fillmore at the Bend and came to these stairs going up the hill. 
 We found this curious plant on the way back, what is it?  We got to the car and drove a few miles down the road to Grand River Park.  There was flooding on the trails.



We saw a Green Dragon.

Green Dragon from the top.


                                       Green Dragon Arum Family


We also visited the Paw Paw trees.  They were just getting done blooming.  This is the back of the flower.



Well again this Blogger is having issues!!!  It can be fun to blog if the site works correctly!  This one is not and I lost my followers?   Any body out there have any suggestions?  Maybe a different blog site?  Please send help.  We will end the day there and see if this will post.  Really any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did it again! Fantastic photos. They recreate our walk, minus the mosquitoes...
Thanks for doing battle with the blog site. I appreciate all your work. M :)

stratovolcano said...

did you notice the weevil seems to be missed the lower half of its middle right leg? What a cool bug!

stratovolcano said...

I can see all of your followers there on the right.

Plants Amaze Me said...

Marie Thanks again for taking me on all the fun adventures!

Stratovolcano, I didn't think anyone would notice his missing leg part! I have more pictures of him and it is a bit more obvious.
And when I visited your blog today I couldn't see any of your followers? Maybe it is a setting on the computer or blog on my end.

Anonymous said...

These photos are so amazing! Can I ask you where you found those daisies growing? My mom loves daisies, and I would love to bring her to a bed of daisies during the Mother's Day weekend. Would you have any suggestions?