Friday, June 17, 2016

A Delightful Discovery (borrowed words) in Barry County, Michigan

In 2012, a blogger friend told me about a delightful discovery that I might be able to find - if I looked in the right place, at the right time.  This was the fourth year we tried to find his delight, and when we found it, we were very delighted.  Thanks, Bob.

Maybe a little drum roll inserted here.  It is an orchid.  Quite rare. Found in an easy to reach, very public place.

It is the Shining Ladies' Tresses!  Spiranthes lucida is the smallest, earliest blooming, and least abundant Ladies' Tresses.  It is a saffron-lipped beauty.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were delighted to find these beauties! Even did our wildflower dance. We don't usually chase a specific plant but these were worth it. Your comments tell it all and your photos look even better here. I can see how small the orchids are by comparing them to the grass in the photo. They really are beautiful little flowers. Thanks for making it all permanent. M :)

Bob said...

Beautiful photos! I'm glad you found them, and apparently at peak bloom. They sure are tiny little things. The first time I saw them growing in that location, I almost overlooked them, as they blended in with the white clovers that grow abundantly there. Nothing about them shouts, "Look at me!" but your photos capture how well worthwhile it is to pause and take a closer look.

Plants Amaze Me said...

Anonymous M :) We did chase this plant and you found it! Then you let me find some, nice. All together we found how many? I think you wrote it down. Two groups of 5 plants, a couple of three, several single plants. Bob has certainly pointed us in the right direction.
Thanks :)

Plants Amaze Me said...

Bob, Thank You - Thank You. When we pause it is often the time we see something new.

USDA plant database has no Shining Ladies' Tresses recorded for Barry County.
Michigan Flora Online has it recorded in Barry and several other counties. Interesting.

:)

Anonymous said...

We saw 23 Shining Ladies-tresses! M :)

Unknown said...

Hi, I would love to find this plant, any chance you can help me out with the location?
Thanks; Mark

Plants Amaze Me said...

Hi Mark, I did send you an email, I was a bit slow because of the holidays and I’m just slow sometimes.
Gun Lake State Park is where you can find these beauties!
Chris