Monday, March 22, 2021

Hepatica Hill March 22, 2021

 

Marie and I made a trip to Hepatica Hill today and found Hepatica blooming!  It was a beautiful day, sunny and in the 60's.  We really weren't expecting the Hepatica to be blooming.  But at the exact same time we each saw the pretty blue flowers.  Such fun.  These beautiful little wildflowers blooming on the south facing side of a hill in Allegan County.

This is what the hill looks like, so we have to stop and look for the hepatica.

     They are just such happy little wildflowers!


We also stopped at Happy Boots.  We saw Skunk Cabbage and some buds of Marsh Marigold.  Then we drove along 133rd Avenue and saw Spring Beauty blooming! 


                         Spring is here in Michigan!
 


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you captured our day! What is it about Hepatica that we get so excited about them? Thanks for the memories. M :)

NH Gardener said...

Oh, you're so lucky! I haven't even seen willows blooming yet and you have spring beauties!
And I never see hepatica. I wish I did but I think our soil must not be right for them.
Beautiful, all of them, and nice shots of them too!
Happy spring!

Big Brother! said...

Wow they look great!

Plants Amaze Me said...

Thanks M :) I probably had the post done before you were home. I realized later I said little blue flowers. They are actually more of a purple, or white, or pink.
Mike and I went to Connor Bayou tonight and were able to walk the trail along the Grand River for a ways. That trail has been under water for several years you may recall.
Thanks for taking me on a fun adventure!
:)

Plants Amaze Me said...

Happy Spring to you Allen. Yes I was surprised to see the hepatica blooming. It is early for them to be blooming. And I really didn't expect the Spring Beauty to be blooming. Hepatica Hill is about 32 miles south of Grand Haven and it is a south facing slope. It has been dry but also sunny. We are suppose to get some rain and I think things will be coming out even more, but also snow flurries forecast for Friday.
:)

Plants Amaze Me said...

Big Brother, Thanks glad you liked them.

Dave said...

Time for me to head to my hepatica hill. You got some great shots. Such a pretty flower!

Plants Amaze Me said...

Hi Dave This is early for Hepatica blooming, I think this sunny south facing hill is what they like. With some rain I think more flowers might be out early. Good luck!
😀

Sister in the Mid-west said...

It is so nice to see the woodland flowers start to grow. We recently were in the woods of our vicinity. My son picked me a Hepatica flower. I had never learned to identify Hepatica until I read your blog! Thank you for sharing your knowledge.:)

Plants Amaze Me said...

Sister in the Mid-west
Growing up we called hepatica Mayflowers and I remember eating the petals. I'm not sure why I ate them, hmm. I grew up only 3 miles from where I live now, and here we have no hepatica growing in the woods, except for what I have transplanted.
:)